Monday, July 12, 2010

Pojagi Panel #3


Here's #3, (okay... technically it's my 4th panel, but for some reason I forgot to count my first effort. Probably because it felt so experimental to me, having never done it before, and wondering if my machine stitched efforts would even work.... I hope that first one doesn't feel left out... poor little pojagi panel.... I love you, I really do.)

Ah, but I digress...


This panel definitely has an improvised, modern quilt vibe going on.


These are the seams from the "back side", and below from the "front side".



Now, if you give pojagi a try, (and I hope you do), and you want to hang yours in the window, your best bet would be to use light weight fabrics, as they will let the light shine through more.


If you like cotton fabric, as I do, a light weight muslin works well, and I think one made from vintage hankies might be pretty cool, too, but I haven't tried that yet. This one, and my previos two were made from Kaffe Fassett shot cottons, which are lighter in weight then the Robert Kaufman ones, (which are great for quilts!) Also, Fassett made them in conjunction with Oxfam, an international charity that champions fair trade, thus helping to support the poverty-stricken weaving villages in India and Guatemala where the cloth is produced... that makes me very happy.

Remember... see here for a tutorial on machine stitching the seams!

30 comments:

9patchnurse said...

I was thinking that I would love to try this with my Kaffe shot cottons. I didn't know those things about his cottons, it's great. Do you use french seams? and how exactly do you do that?

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Ohhhhh, more in love than ever before. And I thought the first ones were the cat's meow, now this!

glen: did I tell you I ordered shot cotton???? I did, I did!

Unknown said...

Wow! I really love these panels so much! Yeah, what is your trick for the seams?

PioneerValleyGirl said...

Oh, this one is my favorite yet! But then, I do love blue so

Victoria said...

Yay! for shot cottons! (Are you listening shops and suppliers? We need more, and fair trade is a very good thing!)

As for how the seams are done... go two posts below this one to see a tutorial. :0)

Unknown said...

I am loving these! My favorite is the red one so far, but I love them all!! And yes, shot cottons are wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

I saw this and had to go buy it - I can't wait to hang it in the window of my house!

Julie K

sophie said...

I am very much inspired by these panels. I'm moving this week and already thinking about making one to hang in my new apartment.

ale balanzario said...

Great work, love the color, love the trasparensy, love all in it.
Great Photo.
Ale

Fer said...

Another stunning piece!

RosaMarĂ­a said...

beautiful!! love the blues in this one! I'm a huge fan of your work!

Allie said...

Oh golly love it in blue!!!!!!!

Munaiba said...

Really, really lovely!

Andi said...

These are really beautiful!!!

Hey Harriet said...

Another wonderful panel Vic! You're on a roll with these! It was interesting to learn about Oxfam having a connection with the fabric. That's so cool! I'm a big supporter of the work Oxfam does, so these panels are even all the more special now! Hope your week is off to a great start :)

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

These are so incredibly peaceful to look at. I get to appreciate your craft and artistry infused with bright natural light- two wonderful worlds melding.

Anonymous said...

These are stunning ... and you continue to amaze me in the versatility of your creations... they look sooooo beautiful in the windows as you've hung them!

Nifty Quilts said...

I love these panels! I've got to make one sometime. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is totally my favorite. Loves the use of more than one color. I have three windows that get a lot of sun in the evenings that neeeeeeed these.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Cheryl Arkison said...

These are just so calming. I sigh everytime you post one.

Diane J. Evans said...

I think this one is my favorite so far -- how peaceful.

Diane

XUE said...

Super, gorgeous & fabulous work, Vic!

KateKwiltz said...

I LOVE how this glows! My favorite by far!

Kirsten said...

I so like seeing the light shine through

Walden said...

Gorgeous!! Love this design!

Common Threads said...

we love your blog and have given you an award!
http://commonthreadskingston.com/
-mandi

Colleen MacDonald said...

WOWEEEE!! Love it so much. The color is amazing in the window like that. I can't wait to try my hand at this technique.

Laura said...

Hello!!!
I like a lot your Pojagi!!! I didn't know anything about Pojagi until yesterday!!
I'm looking forward to try making one of them!!
Nice blog!
Greetings from Italy!
Laura

Kathryn said...

Beautiful! So that's what this is called! I was about to start one today and by pure coincidence (or fate!) I opened up my flikr contacts and saw one of your 'remnants' and dug a little deeper and voila ... here I am! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

Julie K said...

I so love having this in my home - thanks again!