Monday, June 16, 2008

Crop Circles

Finally, some new work! Yay!


"Crop Circles" features machine appliqued circles on a machine quilted background. Each circle hosts a vintage button, and is surrounded by rows or hand embroidery.


"Crop Circles" measures 12 1/2" x 10" and like most of my other small embroidered mini art quilts, it is backed with a piece of fabric covered, heavy weight interfacing. Why do I do this? Well, there are several reasons... because mini art quilts are so small, they don't have the weight of larger art quilts, and often don't hang flat. Visually, this bothers me. Backing the quilt as I do fixes this problem. It gives the quilt stability, as a frame would, but also enables the quilt to retain it's soft quilt and tactile qualities. Backing the quilt also hides all of my embroidery stitching and allows me to attach a secure cord hanger to the back for easy hanging.


"Crop Circles" is currently available here in my Etsy shop!

12 comments:

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

It's gorgeous! Your work always amazes me. You make it seem effortless and it just flows. I really enjoy the balance of each piece you create.

Amy C said...

Love the buttons, I LOVE buttons.

High Desert Diva said...

I like the way you described the piece you put on the back...smart and so efficient with the button hanger.

Hey Harriet said...

This is a really sweet piece. I LOVE circles! Your quilts are always so joyful :)

Anonymous said...

So pretty!! I bet that that embroidery took a long time! Yet you always have plenty of new work! Great job. :)

picciolo said...

I love this one! The colours are lovely and your sewing meticulous
:)

Mrs.French said...

Honestly, the prettiest crop circles I have ever seen.

please sir said...

I love this work!!

Christa from Chloe Rose said...

Wow...you do beautiful work and have lovely etsy shop. I've hand embroidered for years, but have never taken it to the next level. Your pieces are very inspiring in both the level of detail and color.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Smiles~

Christa
Chloe Rose

SewAmy said...

I love circles too. Love this mini quilt.

Anonymous said...

Stellar!

Tasha Early said...

It looks great!