Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Reflections of Home


Be sure to check out the newest issue of Somerset Home, (available at Barnes and Noble or Border book stores, or go to www.stampington.com) to see and read all about the beautiful ideas and inspirations for creating and decorating your home with amazing artwork and craft projects. Please be sure to look for my artwork and article entitled "Reflections of Home" that feature house shaped wall hangings. The focal point of each house is a small collage peeking through an altered round glass mirror. I scrubbed most of the reflective paint off of the mirrors, leaving just a bit remaining, to create a deamy, aged look.


These pieces were inspired by memories of my YaiYai's home. (YaiYai is greek for grandmother. My actual greek grandmother sadly passed away before I was born, but I was blessed to have a Great Great Aunt whom everyone called YaiYai, despite the fact that she herself never had any children of her own).

YaiYai's home was cozy, yet full of magical mystery to me, with it's icons, and the smell of incense mixing with the heavenly scent of freshly baked greek pastries. And even though YaiYai died many years ago, and her lovely home with the beautiful rose bushes was eventually tore down in the mistaken name of progress, I will always have fond memories of YaiYai and her home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful Victoria...I'll look forward to seeing them in the magazine..now to hunt it down!
Kathi

Steph said...

Victoria!
I love these!

Over The Top Aprons said...

What lovely memories. These ideas are marvelous. Everything has such a charming feel to it.