Saturday, September 8, 2007

Organic Doilies (But in Search of a Better Name!)



These "Organic Doilies" are my current obsession. (Click on the pictures to see the detail up close!) For now, this is just a working title, as I am not sure what to call them! I think they look a bit organic in nature, as if they simply grew and evolved on their own, like a beautiful coral reef. I am open to suggestions for other names if anyone has any ideas.

The way that they were born is that I had been thinking of making a scarf, and when I closed my eyes to visualize how I would create it, and what it would look like, (which is what I always do to become inspired and clarify how to go about creating something new... I spend a lot of time looking like I am asleep!) well, I was only ever able to see the first 6 inches or so. I was getting frustrated as to why I was unable to see the scarf in my minds eye, in it's entirety. Finally it dawned on me that I really didn't want to make a scarf, seeing as I get the most pleasure from working on a fairly small scale, (I have a short attention span and a scarf is just too long in length to hold my interest through to the finish!)

It was then that I saw what I was suppose to be making. Doilies! And I was to make them out of ....? Other doilies! Along with bits of lace, bark cloth, dupioni silk, bits of embroidery, and whatever else caught my fancy! So out came the boxes of vintage tatted and crocheted doilies that I have been collecting for, well, suffice to say most of my life. Then came the fun part of cutting out bits and pieces, layering, stitching, layering and stitching some more, and more... until I was satisfied.

I debuted them last night at a wonderful outdoor show, featuring other great DIY indie artists. I was overjoyed at the positive response that they received and am itching to make more, experiment more, play more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow they are so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

they are really beautiful!!